Saturday, January 16, 2010

14.01.10 - At last

Finally!

Today I finally spotted some real activity in my must. I can see tiny bubbles rising to the surface and even though they aren't vigorously disturbing the surface and making the must foam like crazy, they make feel a lot happier about the must!

The must at maybe 20 glugs/min:


I bet I won't have that crazy foaming stage at all because my room temperature is like 20 °C (68 °F).

Anyway, when I originally made the must I filled the carboy (which has room for 6 gallons - 23L) up to the 5 gallon (19L) mark I had made earlier. I had intended to add more water after the foaming frenzy that has yet to happen but I believe I have made a mistake.

If I were to add water to the top now, the mead would turn out dry, right?

Here's the deal: I didn't follow the original recipe! I used a JAOM recipe that had been converted to the metric system, but that's not the only thing that was different. I now realize that there was a difference there because the original tells you to use a 1 gallon (~3,8L) carboy and fill it to 3 inches from the top and add water later, bringing it up to the 1 gallon mark. On the other hand, the recipe I used instructs you to use a 5L (>1 gallon) carboy and fill it up to the 3,8L mark and later on add water up to the 5L mark. The latter recipe obviously has more water!! (Resulting in a dry mead unless I'm not thinking this through)

Now, as I see it, I have three options at this point:

1) Do nothing
2) Add water to the 6 gallon mark and thus following the recipe I used
3) Add water, honey, cinnamon, orange and so on to make a 6 gallon batch

What should I do?

I'm looking at the third choice right now but I'm a little afraid of the rigorous foaming stage starting as soon as I add the ingredients for a 1 gallon JAOM to the already fermenting 5 gallon batch and foaming through the airlock. Should I add everything except for water and top it off later?

Anyway, here's the recipe I used:

http://www.biobees.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3634&sid=157514b58632f6f2c99ab2ba5d17a652


I'm also making a topic on gotmead forums ;)
Here

No comments:

Post a Comment